Everything You Need To Know When Driving In Europe

Everything You Need To Know When Driving In Europe
Everything You Need To Know When Driving In Europe

You have a lot of freedom when taking a driving vacation in Europe, especially if you bring your own vehicle rather than renting one. You can save time, and money, and avoid the hassle of figuring out how to rent a car overseas by driving your own vehicle across Europe. If you have rented a car, but you don’t know how to go, you can take the shuttle service for airport.

But travelling on vacation can occasionally be stressful. Different countries have different driving laws and regulations, and handling an accident comes with additional challenges including language barriers.

Make sure you have the appropriate auto insurance and are fully aware of your coverage before departing on your driving vacation.

Continue reading to learn more.

Everything You Need To Know When Driving In Europe

Are you covered by your auto insurance to drive in Europe?

In order to legally operate a vehicle in the European Union (EU), you must be properly insured. Verify with your insurer that you have the appropriate sort of coverage for your trip before entering the tunnel or boarding a ship.

While some insurers provide European coverage as standard, many may require you to add it to your policy because coverage differs. If you don’t have insurance and get into an accident while travelling, you might have to pay a lot of money to fix the damage to your car and other people’s cars as well as to bring your car home.

If your auto insurance does, in fact, come with standard coverage for Europe, it’s crucial to make sure you have the appropriate level of protection for your journey. For instance, some insurance might not cover you while you’re on vacation or your automobile while it’s being transferred.

Do check carefully the terms and conditions of your insurance and contact your insurer.

Are you covered by your auto insurance to drive in Europe?

Car insurance with European cover

Admiral Car Insurance offers regular 90-day European coverage, with the exception of the Essential tier. The coverage is available to all named drivers on your policy, but you must remember to bring the certificate with you when you travel.

The following nations are included in the scope of your European coverage: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Cyprus, Romania, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

Your 90-day annual maximum travel limit is covered by your international motor insurance certificate. Please contact our customer support staff if you do want to extend the 90-day period.

For more details on driving your automobile abroad, consult your policy book.

Driving laws in Europe

Each of the European nations has its unique set of driving regulations, and several of them need you to carry additional equipment when using their roads.

Avoid the temptation to have a tiny drink and drive because most European nations have harsher regulations against drunk driving than the UK. Most of Europe prohibits using a mobile device while driving, just like the United Kingdom. Make sure your phone is mounted to your windscreen and not in your hands if you need to use the satnav while driving.

In many nations, the authorities can demand immediate payment of a speeding fine. Speed cameras are becoming more and more prevalent throughout Europe.

Follow the government’s recommendations when driving abroad, and plan your route beforehand so you can get ready for all the various needs of the nations you’re travelling through or via.

Driving laws in Europe

What do I need to drive in Europe?

You might be required by law to carry a few different safety gears in various countries:

  • A red triangle
  • A reflective vest
  • A first aid kit
  • Spare bulbs

Until recently, unless your car has registration plates that display the EU flag and the GB logo, you had to apply a GB sticker on it. Old-style GB badges must be covered or removed starting on September 28, 2021, for British drivers travelling outside the UK. Instead, you should have a sticker or number plate with the UK identity.

Some nations in Europe require snow chains and winter tyres for drivers throughout the winter. You risk getting fined if you slow down traffic in bad weather without these in your car.

What do I need to drive in Europe?

Take these important documents with you when you drive in Europe.

Keep the following documents close to hand in case the police request to see them and make sure they are current:

  • Certificate of Motor insurance
  • A valid full driving license
  • Facts on a Motor Vehicle Accident Agreed Upon
  • If you’re bringing your own vehicle, the registration document is your V5C vehicle log book. The sole option available from the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association if you don’t have this because the vehicle is leased or rented is the Vehicle on Hire Certificate VE103 (BVRLA)
  • Your passport; you might additionally require an International Driving Permit for several countries in continental Europe that are not members of the EU (such as Belarus) (IDP). Your UK driving licence will be sufficient in the majority of EU nations. Some nations in continental Europe also demand a visa.

How to stay safe when driving abroad

Driving overseas may be kept safe in many of the same ways as driving in the UK. While driving abroad, there are a few safety concerns to be aware of.

“Highway Pirates”

Criminals have targeted foreign cars in Europe, forcing them to stop by saying that their car is broken or that they are traffic officers.

Make sure you only stop if you’re in a well-lit, public area if another vehicle gestures for you to stop. Verify the driver’s ID before allowing them to inspect any of your belongings.

Emergency cash

For each nation, you will be visiting, make sure you have cash on hand. If you’re feeling brave and venturing off the main path, you might come across stores or gas stations that don’t accept credit or debit cards.

Theft and other incidents

Criminals abroad will find a purse, camera, or laptop on display just as alluring as they would in the UK.

Keep it hidden, and if you have any questions about the area’s security, consult the Foreign Office’s recommendations. You can dial the 112 number, which is functional in all EU member states if you encounter an emergency other than a breakdown (such as an accident).